disklabel

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Dec 16 23:25:34 UTC 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 17:50, Uday Kumar Reddy wrote:

> In fact, having disk labels is immensely helpful when adding/deleting
> partitions changes the partition minor numbers. With disk labels being
> used in fstab and grub.conf, you don't have to manually edit all the
> device names that have got incremented/decremented.

Surely if you add partitions you will have to edit fstab anyway.
I would actually think disk-labels would be more likely to cause confusion.
Can you give an example where disk-lables would help
when adding a partition?

I think disk-labels are moderately (not immensely, don't exaggerate) helpful
to a small proportion of Linux users.
But they are confusing and annoying to a far larger number.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366