Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Ken Snider ksnider at flarn.com
Fri Dec 17 17:36:03 UTC 2004

Dag Wieers wrote:

> Removing is
>
> 	fair from a strict principal point of view
> but
> 	without merit from a technical point of view.

I agree that it's necessary, but by the same token the current solution,
using repo tags, is inadequate anyway.

Ever tried cross-dependency resolution between freshrpms/AT/DAG/Dries? Good
luck not finding *some* package that you have to exclude/manually update
because one of the four either incremented the epoch or has a tag that
supersedes another in some way.

I'm not saying that the above is unnecessary, either - those decisions are
made for valid reasons, but usually from within the context of *that* repo,
not from the overall context of the whole, IMHO. There needs to be a way to
allow repositories to have some sort of meaning - so that Repo A's package
can't overwrite repo B's package, when said package is part of a larger
application (example: xmms, xmms-skins, etc), *without* incrementing the
epoch and subsequently causing *versions* not to matter anymore.

Maybe a 'release' epoch that doesn't supersede version?

--
Ken Snider