Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Dec 18 05:10:53 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, nodata <fedora at nodata.co.uk> said:
> If I download an rpm from anywhere and install it, I keep a copy of it.
> Later, if I want to use any of the standard *nix commands to deal with
> those rpms, I can do. For example, an ls *.dag.* shows me dag's rpms.

So put RPMs you get from Dag in a subdirectory (maybe even called
"dag").  Or, if he used "dag" as his Vendor field:

rpm -q --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm %{vendor}\n' -p *.rpm | grep " dag$"

You could even put:

rpm alias --vendor --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm %{vendor}\n'

in your ~/.popt and just do:

rpm -q --vendor -p *.rpm | grep " dag$"

> Not having an important piece of information like "where the rpm came
> from" immediately seems a bit silly.

Trying to put every bit of information someone may want about an RPM
into the filename seems a bit silly.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>