iptables problems

Arangel Angov ufo at linux.net.mk
Sun Dec 26 00:21:22 UTC 2004

I started having this problem with iptables a while ago. It seems that I
can't start/stop iptables manually through the terminal. Only way I can
control iptables is thru system-config-securitylevel. This used to work
fine with default FC3 installation and I don't remember when exactly it
started giving me a hard time. When I do "rpm -e
system-config-securitylevel system-config-securitylevel-tui" I can
start/stop iptables manually again, but when the packages are installed
I can't do nothing from the terminal. It also gives me an error in
System Settings > Server Settings > Services when I try to start or stop
the service. It says smth like "Service couldnt start, error:" and thats
it.
Another thing: I can't add firewall rules manually when I have only
iptables installed (without system-config-securitylevel).

For example I want to use NAT so I can get Internet to my laptop and
"iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE" is just not added
to the table of rules.

Anyone has any ideas, or should I visit bugzilla for this one?

Thanks,

Arangel