FC1 -> FC2 upgrade and LVM

Gary Peck gbpeck at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 8 22:17:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 02:01:01PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 07:28 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   a more general question might be, is there at least a list of
> > *theoretical* upgrade issues we have to deal with if we want to try
> > it?
>
> There are some migration issues due to device nodes needing to change
> right now that keep things from working flawlessly.  But with a bit of
> care, it can be coaxed into working.

i have /boot as normal ext3 and everything else, including /, as lvm1.
the following procedure worked for me during upgrade (this would
probably be even simpler to do if using anaconda):

- first install the FC2 lvm2 and initscripts packages
- mkdir /etc/lvm
- reboot the computer, but still using the FC1 2.4.22 kernel
- do whatever you need to do to upgrade (yum, apt, reboot and use
  anaconda, etc.) and install the new 2.6 kernel as part of the upgrade
- reboot the computer with the new FC2 2.6 kernel. lvm should work fine

the key is to let the new initscripts (which requires lvm2) run once
under your old 2.4.22 kernel. it will create the device nodes that the
2.6 kernel requires to boot. you could probably go through the script to
figure out what it does and try doing that by hand too.

gary