hw recommendations?

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Wed Feb 11 21:41:04 UTC 2004

Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 03:49:20PM -0500, Whitley CTR Cecil H wrote:
>
>>Thanks!
>

>>I guess ATI missed a sale then.  Presumably one lost sale won't hurt them.
>>It was my understanding that they had released some driver source and I
>>would have liked to reward that.  Does the NVIDIA driver come in the ISO's
>>or will I need to track it down?
>

> The Nvidia binary only drivers are only available from their website... 2D
> will work with the ISOs.  On the ATI side, 2D will work on the newer cards,
> the 9200, 8500, and the 8800 based cards do have open source 3D drivers,
> and will work.

FWIW, the 2D radeon driver does not work for me on my Asus K8V Deluxe
x86_64 system with a 9200, while it works fine for the same card in an
Athlon XP system.  I had to revert to vesa on the 64 bit box.  (Screen
blanks and only a reboot will recover the system.)

I'd love to know of a fix for this problem...1600x1400 on vesa is slooooow.