FC2-t1 exhibits long delay on LVM setup

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat Feb 14 03:19:35 UTC 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, Paul Iadonisi <pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to> wrote:

>> devices {
>> filter = [ "a|/dev/md.*|", "r|.*|" ]
>> }

>   Forgive my bluntness, but this seems to be a bit of a hack to me.  Why
> has lvm2 taken this step backwards from lvm1?

Ask Sistina!  Erhm...  Heck, I guess this is Red Hat now :-)

> There's gotta be a better way.

IMHO it should scan /proc/mdstat or something equivalent to exclude
raid members.  Other than that, I think scanning as many devices as it
can is actually an improvement, even though it will often result in
ugly error messages when it attempts to scan say the CD drive and
there isn't anything there :-)

> Or at least a faster way.

Well... Either you scan all devices that could possibly name
physical volumes, or you risk missing some.  What do you suggest?
Maybe a config file that enables you to limit the set of devices it
scans?  Well...  Seems to have already been done :-)

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}