Serial setup hang (Re: FC2 test1: install glitches and comments)

Ricky Ng-Adam rngadam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 00:26:03 UTC 2004

Hello!

Ricky Ng-Adam wrote:

>> On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 01:03:04AM -0500, Ricky Ng-Adam wrote:
>>
>>> -on reboot after install... Kernel Stopped booting after agpgart and
>>> Serial: 8250[...]IRQ sharing enabled lines.  Poweroff/poweron seems
>>

>> Seen this, its as if any serial interrupt occuring during the serial
>> setup
>> or before it hangs the box. I've not yet been able to get much further as
>> I've not yet found a box I have it will boot all the way on except with
>> the install CD
>>
>> I also see similar problems with IRQ 12 sharing, then disable then hangs
>> and then since IRQ 12 is _really_ used by something other than the
>> non-existant PS/2 mouse it tried to enable that hangs too.

BTW, I can reproduce systematically this problem by

  powering up the laptop + restarting Linux = hang

So there seems to be something that is supposed to happen when shutting
down for reboot that doesn't.

I also noticed that in the IBM BIOS under serial port there are three

   Disabled
   Enabled
   OS controlled [Displayed when controlled by OS]

I've tried both Disabled and Enabled (3F8 IRQ4) but both result in the
reproducible hang.  I've never seen the "OS controlled" option.

Thanks,

Ricky