x864_64 up2date gone wild.

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Feb 18 01:25:19 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 19:08, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Gene C. writes:
> > Yes but ..
> >
> > The practical matter is that you do need repository pointers to both
> > x86_64 and i386 respositories in the general case.  Updates for the gcc,
> > glibc, XFree86, etc. packages which include both x86_64 and ix86 packages
> > in the FC1 x86_64 distribution will require both sets of repositories.
> >
> > Hopefully, FC1 x86_64 final will be coming out shortly and that should
> > fix a lot of this stuff.
>
> Pointing up2date to a copy of the i386 update channel did resolve that
> dependency, but it then complained about an unresolved dependency on
> libgl.so, which I believe is a known issue.
>
> Still, this just feels wrong.  The x86_64 channel should include any
> necessary i386 stuff.

Don't disagree ... don't agree.  What this comes down to is that I do not know
what the "right" answer is.

The Opteron/Athlon64 offers a interesting environment where both 64 bit and 32
bit userlan application can run concurrently on the same hardware under the
same OS.  This is creating an "interesting" situation for creating a x86_64
distribution.

The SUSE approach seems to be to do everything it can in 64 bit mode but then
provide a large 32 bit development/run-time capability (and an OS which is
distributed on two DVDs (dual sided single DVD)).  The Red Hat/Fedora
approach seems to be to do it all in 64 bit mode and provide a minimum of 32
bit capability.  The "right" approach ... I do not know.

There is also the situation of up2date/rpm "doing the right thing" when both
32 bit and 64 bit packages need to be installed.  While I believe that the
"right thing" will be done during the initial system install, it is not clear
to me that this be done post install when you need to install yet another
ix86 package.  I have posted a message asking for clarification on this for
install both the x86_64 and i686 version of openssl on a x86_64 system.  I
have yet to see any response to my questions.

If you look in the archives for fedora-test list (or fedora-devel-list, I
forget which), there is some discussion on how rpm "does the right thing".
It is still not clear to me how to make sure that the "right thing: is done
installing packages post system installation/creation.

All this said, I still believe that FC1 x86_64 looks very good and am looking
forward to the FC2 x86_64.
--
Gene