Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 17:01:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 05:40:54PM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> believe). Does the theory of product selection attributes say that you
> should add preferences without considering the costs at all? Or how is
> it disagreeing?

Costs alwys matter.

> ugly but used by important people feature in the Linux kernel. At some
> point you have to stick by what you (as a developer) think is best
> (considering input from other parties), instead of letting the opinions
> of the person with most money decide.

It sometimes depends if you can please them at no cost to anyone else.

> described in the docs. To avoid this I try to err on the cautious side,
> because once a preference is in its very very hard to get rid of.

Indeed

> > So how to fix it - well one way at least would be to add "Make this my
> > default viewing mode" somewhere so the user can "stick" the current viewing
> > preference. Windows in particular makes heavy use of "Do you want to make this
> > your default....." as does Mozilla.
>
> Where exactly would this be? A dialog that shows up when you switch
> mode? It sounds like a normal preference to me, except not in the normal
> place for preferences.

Im trying to think of places we can give users a clear and easy to understand
way to switch their normal browsing mode between the two forms in a way that
is UI-intiutive and not more weird preference options. That seems to me to
be the real way to solve the entire thing