Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Aaron Bennett aaron.bennett at olin.edu
Thu Feb 19 15:25:34 UTC 2004

Owen Taylor wrote:

> - Shift-click tunnels

wow, that's cool.  I'm still not sure why there's not a "tunnel by
default" option somewhere.

>Now, of course, this doesn't really answer the question because
>the second two won't be found by the majority of users. But then
>again, if the majority of users have to navigate to
>/var/www/html/music starting from /, we've lost.

agreed.

>I think spatial mode makes two assumptions:
>
> - Navigation can be kept shallow for non-expert users
> - Expert users will make frequent use of Control-L

That's cool.  I'm pleased to hear the rationale and it makes total sense
to have defaults set for ultra novice users, since the actual truth is
that an expert user will simply type "cp ~/music/file
/var/www/html/music" instead.  The only complaint is that it seems EASY
to make it possible to change your default behavior and costs very
little.  But that's more of a philosophical question and doesn't need to
be discussed on Fedora-Test-List.

Thanks for indulging me...

- Aaron

--