2.6 Kernel (NUMA) and Fedora Development

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Feb 22 10:30:46 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 00:20, Wayne Frazee wrote:
> 3) This is perhaps more along the lines of a feature request but I wanted
> to solicit community or developer feedback with regard to implementing a
> "fuller" GUI NTP interface.  Currently, FC1 includes support for a single
> time source for time synchronization.  Despite the fact that the redhat
> clock is a stratus 1 source, large-scale distribution of the Fedora and
> RHEL operating systems with time sync against the redhat machine is sure to
> put additional strain on the RedHat source.  Is there a future possibility
> of a interface where administrative users may have more flexibility over
> time source selection?  Some options such as the ability to use either a
> dynamic or pre-defined array of time sources on a certain stratus would
> certainly be appreciated.  (E.g. specify stratus 2 sources, the app would
> then consider the time zone of choice and/or location and configure the NTP
> list with the closets open access sources.)

I don't work for Red Hat so you may need to wait for a reply from them to get
an official answer.  Red Hat at one time did have a list with multiple
entries.  However, it did not contain everyone's favorite so there were
constant requires for adding more.  Rather than trying to keep up with this
unsolvable problem, they appear to have chosen the alternative of just one
... their own stratus 1 server.  Now this is not really a problem since you
can plug your own favorite in.  Yoyu can do this at first boot, with the
system-config-date application (which is what firstboot uses), or by manually
editing the /etc/ntp.conf file.  For system-config-date, just type in the ip
or name of the server into the field rather than selecting.
--
Gene