Configuring sound from the console

Mike Pedersen mike.pedersen at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 25 17:00:39 UTC 2004

Hello all, I am running an up to date test 1 installation and am having some
sound troubles.  Sound does not automatically get configured on my Dell
notebook with an Intel chip set.  When I run alsamixer I get an error and am
told to run a graphical sound configuration tool.  What I am wondering is:
what is the new equivalent to the old sndconfig which allowed a user to
configure sound from the command prompt?  I am blind so am not able to use
Gnome until I get sound configured and the Gnome screen reader enabled which
is why I need to do this in text mode.
Any useful information would be much appreciated.
regards
Mike Pedersen