Status of Adaptec Hostraid support.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 22:23:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:14:56PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >The raid card issues go back years actually - AHA hostraid stuff like
> >the IDE raid hasn't been Linux supported, smarter stuff has been well
> >supported.
>
> Well then, so much for Adaptec???

Adaptec hw raid stuff is supported (aacraid etc) but to be honest hardware
raid is dying out. Its already basically collapsed down to two vendors and one
niche vendor (Adaptec, LSI, 3ware)

> That still leaves the question of a working SCSI hardware raid card.  I'm
> open to suggestions.  Some Googling brings up occasional reports of random
> glitches with software raid; so I'd still prefer a hardware raid solution.

I've got 3ware bits - which work nicely, and aacraid - which works pretty
well although it doesnt like some of the RH kernels. You can pick up
decent aacraid cards (quad channel perc2/qc aka "Obsidian") on ebay.

Alan