Status of Adaptec Hostraid support.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Feb 1 23:13:22 UTC 2004

Alan Cox writes:

> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:14:56PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> >The raid card issues go back years actually - AHA hostraid stuff like
>> >the IDE raid hasn't been Linux supported, smarter stuff has been well
>> >supported.
>>
>> Well then, so much for Adaptec???
>
> Adaptec hw raid stuff is supported (aacraid etc) but to be honest hardware

Oh, I get it now.  Adaptec's Hostraid line isn't really hardware raid, it
still needs host OS support.

Well, it did look like hardware RAID at first (up until the point when I
actually tried to boot Fedora).  After enabling RAID, subsequent POST
enumerated a single device, on the lowest SCSI ID of the two drives.

>> That still leaves the question of a working SCSI hardware raid card.  I'm
>> open to suggestions.  Some Googling brings up occasional reports of random
>> glitches with software raid; so I'd still prefer a hardware raid solution.
>
> I've got 3ware bits - which work nicely, and aacraid - which works pretty
> well although it doesnt like some of the RH kernels. You can pick up
> decent aacraid cards (quad channel perc2/qc aka "Obsidian") on ebay.

I can't find SCSI stuff on 3ware.com.  They look to be in the business of
ATA RAID only.

Looks like my only option appears to be LSI Megaraid 320-1.

/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2140.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid.o

That should work..