Gnome problems in rawhide

Marcus Schuetz biped at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 15:36:27 UTC 2004

I am yummified up to date on rawhide and have a few problems with Gnome.
Now I know it's in flux currently so maybe some (or all) may go away,
but maybe some of the problems slipped in during the process. So perhaps
somebody can verify that I am not the only one seeing these (I looked
through bugzilla and couldn't find anything):

1. Files deleted (or Moved to Trash) from Nautilus don't end up there.
Trash remains empty.

2. My windows partition no longer shows up on the desktop. Neither is it
present under 'My Computer' nor are my CD-ROM drives or my floppy drive.
The only thing there is Filesystem and Network.

3. Gnome sound is not working. I get quite a few 'Unable to connect to
UNIX socket /tmp/.esd/socket' messages in my .xsession-errors at startup
and whenever I call esd related programs. NOTE: other sound (xine, etc.)
  works.

4. Here I don't know if it is a Gnome problem per se: I am running
gdesklets and it now complains that it can't load EWMH support so they
appear on top on everything else. Is it a gdesklets problem or did it
get introduced with the recent gnome updates?

:: Marcus