Installing on SATA drives?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Feb 3 17:17:09 UTC 2004

fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com writes:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:40:22 -0600
> From: "Justin M. Forbes" <64bit_fedora at comcast.net>
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Installing on SATA drives?
>
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:14:03AM -0500, Douglas Kilpatrick wrote:
> >
> > I'm putting together a new opteron box, and have two SATA drives hanging
> > off a SIS controller. ("Silicon Image Sil3114 SATA RAID controller"
> >
> This chip is not currently supported by Fedora Core.  You would basically
> have to merge a patch, rebuild the kernel rpms, then rebuild the distro.
> It is easier than it sounds, but  I am not sure on the current stability of
> that driver, when libata was last merged, it was broken on a large
> percentage of systems.
>
> Justin

SuSE has this stuff working reasonably, at least with the Adaptec
1210SA thing that I got stuck with (Sil3112). You need their Patch CD
which came out about a week ago to boot up and install. [Still
considering whether I should just stick with SuSE or wait for Fedora
to catch up.]

        -p

NB: I'm on the digestified version of the list.