Installing on SATA drives?

Rob Myers rob.myers at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 3 21:38:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 13:39, Douglas Kilpatrick wrote:
> > i installed on a PATA drive, built a new kernel with sil3114 support and
> > just copied all the partitions from the PATA disk to the SATA disk.
>
> Ok.  Stupid Q:  Where did you get the patches?  people/jgarzik?

the sata_sil in 2.6.2-rc2 has sil 3114 support but is marked correctly
in my opinion as broken.

the ide siimage patch which is working well for me with one disk on
2.6.2-rc2 is here against 2.6.0-test11:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/2.6.0-test11-bart1/broken-out/ide-siimage-sil3114.patch

> Those patches similar enough to the kernel in Fedora to make integrating
> into the rpm reasonable?

i integrated the siimage patch into the kernel 2166 rpms available here:
http://www.stl.gtri.gatech.edu/fedora/x86_64/sil3114/

i didnt have time to test them yet, tho.  if you can test them let me
know.  if i get more info and have time i'll see about respinning the
distro as justin earlier suggested.

rob.