Compiling gnome 2.5.3

Marcus Schuetz biped at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 14:57:34 UTC 2004

PFJ said the following on 02/06/04 08:22:
> Hi,
>
> I'm 99% certain that there is something rather amiss with the rawhide
> rpms of the gnome 2.5.3 branch. I say that as when I used the rawhide
> versions, a normally very stable machine became unstable in places. When
> I compiled them myself (so I could get Evolution to work), things became
> more stable again.
>
> It could just be me though.
>
> I've now downloaded the entire source tree for the 2.5.3 branch (the
> Gnome website says 2.5.4 should have been out a few days back). Is there
> any particular order in which I need to compile the sources or can I
> start at a and go through to z. I imagine it would be a good idea to
> compile the lib* directories first.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

I have a few problems with the rawhide rpms as well, but after some help
from the mailing lists it is - while not yet perfect - in a a least
working condition. My biggest beef was the not working trash which got
fixed by changing a line in
/usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_VFS_Daemon.server (thanks again, sangu)

<oaf_info>

<oaf_server iid="OAFIID:GNOME_VFS_Daemon_Factory"
         type="exe" location="/usr/src/build/345256-i386/install/usr/
libexec/gnome-vfs-daemon">

------
modified GNOME_VFS_Daemon.server file

<oaf_info>

<oaf_server iid="OAFIID:GNOME_VFS_Daemon_Factory"
         type="exe" location="/usr/libexec/gnome-vfs-daemon">

so I am not that desperate to compile gnome by hand :-). As for the
compilation order, you can't just go off and compile it in any order :-)
There is a guide for 2.4 which should be valid for 2.5 as well :
http://www.karubik.de/gig/ . Or you can try to use GARNOME or jhbuild.
As for me, I'll just wait :-)

Good luck

:: Marcus