No sound under the 2.6.1 test kernels

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 6 17:11:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 09:43, Andy Green wrote:

> On Friday 06 February 2004 13:38, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > >
> > > No, we match upstream 2.6 exactly there.
> > >
> > > 	Dave
> >
> > Must be something ALSA is doing.  It wouldn't be the first time
> > (schedule_work comes to mind).
>
> Hi Bob -
>
> Your idea about changing ./include/asound.h line 423 to read
>
> #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 1)
>
> did get it to compile, thanks very much.
>
> The good news continued as I was able to modprobe the new snd-intel8x0 driver
> into the kernel (after a make install of the alsa stuff), and it seems to
> operate okay.  That's the native motherboard sounds system on this laptop
> taken care of.
>
> However when I tried to modprobe in the new usb-snd-audio, I get the following
> complaint
>
> Feb  6 14:00:43 fastcat kernel: snd_usb_audio: Unknown symbol
> usb_get_device_descriptor

> I checked in an existing kernel module with strings, ide_cd.ko, it does not
> have versioned kernel symbols and neither does the new snd-usb-audio.ko, so
> that's not the problem.
>
> Andy more ideas?
>
> - -Andy

Andy,

I have never tried a USB sound device.  I grepped both the kernel
(2.6.2) source and the ALSA source for usb_get_device_descriptor.  The
references in the kernel indicate that it is not exported (you knew
that!), and also takes a different argument list from the ALSA calls.
Grepping the 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel source turned up the following
(of interest):

        drivers/usb/usb.c:int usb_get_device_descriptor(struct
        usb_device *dev)
        drivers/usb/usb.c:      err = usb_get_device_descriptor(dev);
        drivers/usb/usb.c:EXPORT_SYMBOL(usb_get_device_descriptor);

The ALSA driver for the USB sound device may not have been updated to
support the 2.6 kernel.  It looks like the arguments match the call in
the 1.0.2 ALSA source.  You might want to post a question to the ALSA
folks.  Also check
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=USB&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=usb-audio
maybe something there may help (did not see anything though).

Bob...