Some FC 2 Test / rawhide results

Mark Heslep mark at mitre.org
Fri Feb 6 21:34:21 UTC 2004

I pulled  the latest from yesterdays rawhide FC development tree  and
ran an install of  FC 2 Test  (early?).  Created a syslinux USB stick
based on the boot.iso image to use as a boot medium   Install method was
NFS from a tree w/ kickstart to JFS partitions.

1. 1/2 dozen gnome(ish) package installs ( gdm, evolution, file-roller,
etc ) report a "...parser error: Input is not proper UTF-8...."  to the
anaconda /root/install.log but install ok otherwise.

2.  Bus device name attribuition caused headaches with conflicts betwenn
the  usb storage device and internal SCSI adapter.  When the usb stick
is the boot device  it takes /dev/sda away from the internal scsi
adapter / disks. [1] The install can be made to go ok but on reboot from
the internal drive is atrributed sda again causing  havoc.  Passing
"nousbstorage" to anaconda  clears the way of course for the internal
SCSI but  makes the usb stick unusable for any further use during the
installation.  I thought filesystem  LABELs  were invented to avoid this
kind of problem but they dont help either:   the kernel  can't find
'init' on root  and panics. Had to fall back to  rescue mode and mangle
/etc/fstab back to  /dev/sda.

3. Graphical install fails on  the attempt to start the X server on this
ATI FireGL X1 card connected to a DVI LCD and a VGA LCD.  The failure
locks everything up completely.  This appears to be the same radeon
problem reported on FC 1 installs.

4. The often reported Gnome process-hang-after-log-outs continue to
leave several processes running after X goes down, usually nautilus and
bonobo.

5.  Unsupported category:  jfs  based installation crashes Anaconda due
to a bad path to jfs_tune.  bug# 115101.  Kick start  %pre sym link
provies a work around for now.

-Mark

[1]  I  vaguely recall that a post to lkml on scsi name attribution said
a recent 2.6 patch solves this problem.