Compiling gnome 2.5.3

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 22:50:09 UTC 2004

PFJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm 99% certain that there is something rather amiss with the rawhide
> rpms of the gnome 2.5.3 branch. I say that as when I used the rawhide
> versions, a normally very stable machine became unstable in places. When
> I compiled them myself (so I could get Evolution to work), things became
> more stable again.
>
> It could just be me though.
>
> I've now downloaded the entire source tree for the 2.5.3 branch (the
> Gnome website says 2.5.4 should have been out a few days back). Is there
> any particular order in which I need to compile the sources or can I
> start at a and go through to z. I imagine it would be a good idea to
> compile the lib* directories first.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

I started to compile the latest version of GNOME and then stopped after
the menus were fixed. I was using the installation order that was for an
earlier version of GNOME. There was not an installation order for the
newer programs.

I got so far, then the menus were fixed and I stopped. I think that
youmight have better luck than I did with installing the development
packages that are linked to the website.

The order of installation does matter. Also the new version of GNOME
will be installed in user/local and should not interfere with the Fedora
compilation of GNOME. I didn't complete the installation process, so I
don't know for sure.

I think the GNOME from Fedora of present works pretty decent. I am only
having problems with nautilus not shutting down properly and a second
login would be mesed up. And the missing help link from the menus.

Good luck with your attempt.

Jim