FC1 -> FC2 upgrade and LVM

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat Feb 7 19:43:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 14:13 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'd save some of the config files that i didn't want to lose, then
> install completely over top of filesystems like /, /usr, /var, /boot
> and so on, while preserving data-oriented filesystems like /home.
> worked nicely, and frankly, i just never trusted the upgrade
> operation.

This is better in a lot of ways because you're going to get a "truer"
system.  There are new things that don't get installed / set up on
upgrades and this is going to continue to be the case (the overhead to
set something like, for example, SELinux up on an upgrade is daunting).

> now, will i be able to do something like that with FC?  particularly
> in going from FC1 to FC2-test?  will i be able to preserve my LVM1-
> based volumes and just remount them?  or am i asking for way too
> much?  and, of course, once i have the new system up and running,
> one would like to convert all of the volumes to LVM2.  can i make
> this any more difficult? :-)

Sure, the LVM1 volumes should be found in anaconda and you should just
be able to assign them mount points.  As far as conversion, anaconda
isn't going to do this, but '/sbin/lvm vgconvert' should be able to do
it.

Cheers,

Jeremy