Soundcard VIA ac97 doesn't work

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 8 13:12:47 UTC 2004

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:
> Em Sáb, 2004-02-07 às 22:18 -0500, Jim Cornette escreveu:
>
>>Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:
>>
>>>When I try to run /usr/bin/system-config-soundcard to configure my
>>>soundcard on Fedora Core 1 with the latest kernel 2.6.1 from rawhide, I
>>>get the following error:
>>>
>>>The via82cxxx_audio driver could not be loaded.  This soundcard may not
>>>be compatible with Red Hat Linux.
>>
>>When I run system-config-soundcard I get this error. My soundcard is
>>working. System-config soundcard is not working properly yet.
>>
>>You might try to look up information regarding your card and alsa
>>drivers. My card needs oss emulation drivers to work.
>>
>>I used this information from a post that Warren Togami posted earlier. I
>>believe that the oss emulation drivers are common links, regardless of
>>the card selected. You might try loading the modules for OSS emulation.
>>(And file a bug report, initscripts and system-config-soundcard)
>

> What exactly is on your modules.conf, and what kernel modules do you
> call at system startup?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Thiago

/etc/modules.conf contains:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 ne2k-pci
# Note: for use under 2.6, changes must also be made to modprobe.conf!
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

/etc/modprobe.conf contains:

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

But to get sound to actualy function using the 2.6 kernel. I had to add
the other stuff to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
modprobe snd-seq-oss
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd_intel8x0

This is a development installation and I haven't used a 2.4 kernel on
the system. Looking through the output lists above. It looks like
snd-intel8x0 does not work but snd_intel810 does. I did not have sound
until I addemodprd the later.

A partial output of lsmod shows these related to sound. I'm a bit
confused with the underscore or the dash in the module names.

snd_ac97_codec         51716  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart         8960  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            26784  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_pcm_oss            53412  0
snd_pcm               105348  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         12676  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          19200  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss            35968  0
snd_seq_midi_event      9216  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                61200  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              28420  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          9096  3 snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd                    53988  14
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10720  2 snd

Jim

--
A friend of mine won't get a divorce, because he hates lawyers more than he
hates his wife.