Dell Lattitude CPx Battery Shutdown

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Feb 13 16:53:59 UTC 2004

Rick Johnson wrote :

> > I got the same problem on my Inspiron 8000.  Booting without rhgb
> > would enable me to see the amusing message (quoted from memory) `limit
> > temperature -296 degrees Celsius reached, shutting down'.
> >
> > After reading this, I tested acpi=on without battery and it wouldn't
> > do it any more.
> >
> > Upgrading to 2.6.2-1.74 fixed it as well.  I'm tentatively closing bug
> > 115518.  Please reopen if you find that it doesn't fix the problem for
> > you.
>
> I did note (very late last night) that the newer kernel allowed me to
> stay up as well.
>
> I want to say the battery applet doesn't work well with ACPI, but I
> could be mistaken. That's more of an applet, not a kernel issue. If I
> can reproduce, I'll file it.

I'll try the latest kernel too then, as the 2.6.1-1.65 can't seem to get
battery info properly :

# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/*
alarm:                   unsupported
present:                 yes
design capacity:         0 mWh
last full capacity:      0 mWh
battery technology:      non-rechargeable
design voltage:          0 mV
design capacity warning: 0 mWh
design capacity low:     0 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  0 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  0 mWh
model number:
serial number:
battery type:
OEM info:
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          unknown
present rate:            0 mA
remaining capacity:      0 mAh
present voltage:         0 mV

(I get the same for the 2nd battery, when inserted)
This is on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with ACPI. When running the gnome battery
applet, it fills my kernel logs with :

-0091: *** Error: ut_allocate: Attempt to allocate zero bytes

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.6.1-1.65
Load : 1.36 0.90 0.67