FC2 test1: install glitches and comments (resend, last one was too big)

Ricky Ng-Adam rngadam at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 06:03:04 UTC 2004

Hello!

I went over the currently 117 bugs in Bugzilla that I can query (is this
right?) and didn't see the following.  Please tell me if any of this
should be in Bugzilla as I don't feel confident yet inputting all of these.

BTW, if I create entries in Bugzilla, should I create only one that
covers a number of small glitches per category (ie: install) or should I
create just one per bug, however nitpicky it is?

= Test Hardware =

IBM A22m 2628PSU Laptop
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4UZPPT
BIOS: 1.09 BXET36WW with Setup Defaults
Memory: 192MB
Video: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x
CPU:  Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) 800Mhz
Chipset:Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX PIIX4
Modem: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450
Harddrive: IBM-DJSA-210, ATA DISK (10GB)
CD-ROM: TEAC CD-224E, ATAPI CD drive
Floppy drive: National Semiconductor PC87306
Network card: EtherExpress PRO/100 (OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet)

= Install =

Workstation install, English US + French-Canadian & Chinese Taiwan.
1,2,3 were required (but the 3rd was barely used).

-Did not detect that my monitor was a LCD 1024x768.  Recent MDK10 and
Lindows4.5 are able to.

-Nothing in the release notes

-The mouse feels "strange", "jumpy", not smooth. This is with a PS/2 two
buttons mouse ("Made for IBM by Logitech") connected to the PS/2 instead
of the laptop built-in mouse.

-"Please insert disc 2 to continue" the currently inserted disk is not
ejected automatically.  This has been reported by someone else on this list.

-The "Fedora Core" logo on top of the progress bar is awful: font with
staircase effects and a barely legible TM.  Also: how about small bios
of the developers and contributors on this screen? That would be a nice
touch for a community OS and would be a nice reward for people
contributing freely.

-Time remaining is good, but "Total time" would also be useful

-Size: 4 CD-ROM is just too much. Should ready pick best of breed and
put them on the first CD-ROM only for Personal/Workstation installs.
Also - time to distribute DVD. With Workstation, the first 3 CD-ROM are
used!

-Time to install: 40mn-1hour.  Lindows is oh-so-much faster, I think
because it has a image of the base install on the CD-ROM, decompresses
it and dumps it directly to the HD.

-Thank you for providing normal-size CD-ROM images! It must be tempting
to use slightly large ISO images (80mn instead of 74mn), but that would
mean I'd have to sacrifice CDR instead of using my old CDRW.

-Just a Q about the boot diskette: I read somewhere that the kernel did
not fit anymore on a floppy, how does the boot diskette work?

= First boot =

-on reboot after install... Kernel Stopped booting after agpgart and
Serial: 8250[...]IRQ sharing enabled lines.  Poweroff/poweron seems

-cpuspeed: Error could not open file for writing
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpu_governor

-Configuration after reboot is much nicer then would have been otherwise
possible to do during install! I like it!

-License Agreement: should force scrolling to bottom before enabling
"Yes, I agree".

-Date and Time: would be nice to have a server based on the TZ we
already provided.  Right now, it is just RedHat NTP servers.

-Sound Card: as usual, I cannot hear anything coming out of the sound
card.  I've seen this problem in other distros whereas my speaker volume
is set very low at boot.  Maybe some way to adjust the volume before
playing the test sound?  (note: I couldn't get the sound working later
either... something is wrong, this works under MDK10b2).

-Should be a way to configure auto-login as in Mandrake, especially for
Personal/Workstations install.  Frankly, I even like the idea of no
password for root for those kind of installs.

= Second boot =

-same cpuspeed error

-From power-on to opening start menu: 2mn18s.  Made slower because of
long delay (10s instead of say 3s) in grub and have to log-on.

-From power-on to opening start menu WITHOUT NETWORK: 2mn20s.  I'm happy
about that, I remember times when it takes a long longer to start
without network.

-permissions for files in my directory are incorrect (home_listing.txt)

-audio seems to be having problems (see messages and xsession-errors)

-"microcode: No suitable data for cpu 0": is this important?

-xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
(unreadable) (see messages)

-init: open(/dev/pts/0): No such file or directory (see messages)

-some atkbd.c: Unknown key released (see messages)

-I would expect the keyboard switcher in the system tray as I have
requested French-Canadian and Chinese support.