FC2 test1: install glitches and comments (resend, last one was too big)

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Sat Feb 14 07:24:43 UTC 2004

> -Did not detect that my monitor was a LCD 1024x768.  Recent MDK10 and
> Lindows4.5 are able to.

Same with my Dell - so it's probably a laptop display thing.

> -"Please insert disc 2 to continue" the currently inserted disk is not
> ejected automatically.  This has been reported by someone else on this
> list.

Listed in the release notes.

> -Thank you for providing normal-size CD-ROM images! It must be tempting
> to use slightly large ISO images (80mn instead of 74mn), but that would
> mean I'd have to sacrifice CDR instead of using my old CDRW.

C'mon, at 19-25¢ per, I think using a CD-R is justifiable unless you
don't have easy access to a recycling facility. Not only that, but they
read much quicker for the install.

> -Just a Q about the boot diskette: I read somewhere that the kernel did
> not fit anymore on a floppy, how does the boot diskette work?

It doesn't - that's why an ISO image is provided - they fit perfectly on
the business card or 110mb mini CD-R's. A CD-RW works as well.

> -cpuspeed: Error could not open file for writing
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpu_governor

configure /etc/cpuspeed.conf with the correct module. On my dell, it was
speedstep-smi I believe. Once that was in, no more message, and I want
to say my battery life improved to boot - but that could be the placebo
effect :-) It would have been nice if this was auto-detected by kudzu
and then inserted though.

> -License Agreement: should force scrolling to bottom before enabling
> "Yes, I agree".

Why, so we can skim and still not read it, but be annoyed by the fact
that we have to scroll first? Great for lawyers, not so great for lazy
admins, who are still doing a bulk of the installs.

> -Should be a way to configure auto-login as in Mandrake, especially for
> Personal/Workstations install.  Frankly, I even like the idea of no
> password for root for those kind of installs.

This can be done via the menu when configuring the login screen. Putting
it less in the open discourages this overall bad practice.

-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)