FC2 test1: pcmcia problems on dell i8100

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat Feb 14 19:38:58 UTC 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, Rick Johnson <rjohnson at medata.com> wrote:

> Strangely enough, after the modprobe, restart pcmcia (service pcmcia
> restart), then ifup eth0. That seems to work for me on my Lattitude
> CPx.

Cool!

I see what the problem is now: /etc/init.d/pcmcia uses `grep -q pcmcia
/proc/devices' to tell whether it has to modprobe for the pcmcia
modules.  It turns out that when the system attempts to bring up the
network card early in the boot, the network card brings in
pcmcia_core, which gets a pcmcia entry into /proc/devices, so starting
pcmcia doesn't bring $PCIC up, and nothing works.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}