FC2 test1: install glitches and comments (resend, last one was too big)

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Sun Feb 15 18:44:13 UTC 2004

Ricky Ng-Adam wrote:
>> This can be done via the menu when configuring the login screen.
>> Putting it less in the open discourages this overall bad practice.
>

> Yes... Bad practice on the server I understand, but on my own, personal,
> single user laptop? What is the reasoning?  Well, sure this is not
> Lindows or MDK, but no reason to be as friendly as possible with user's
> who have this on their laptop or desktop.

Perhaps, but I'd hate to lose my laptop and give the next guy one less
step to get my data. The 5-10 second inconvenience is worth that small
piece of mind - granted anyone with skills can easily circumvent that
anyway.

> I think it is much worse to have the "Login Screen Setup" with the
> Security tab having "Allow root to login with GDM" and "Allow root to
> login remotely with GDM".

Agreed. Ideally we'd be forced to not be able to use root at the GDM
login at all (at least remotely), but rather su - for everything or be
prompted for a root password case by case. However, that could be seen
as a bit too "nannyish".

-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)