Auto-login default for Personal/Workstation (Re: FC2 test1: install glitches and comments)

Ricky Ng-Adam rngadam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 21:22:12 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Ricky Ng-Adam said:
>
>>So I'd say: let advanced users configure the login password (so the
>>inverse of what you told me at the beginning) and have the 90% of users
>>who don't want to bother with an username/password auto-login.
>
> IMHO security should win by default, with the option to change it later
> (with the understanding that the user understands the consequences).

OK, OK! <grumble> <grumble>  ;-)

Well, why not put it it in the first boot configuration with a default
to "No" and an explanation that it is only recommended for personal,
home computers? As I've said, 90% of the users are going to want to use
this functionnality, but the newbies won't even KNOW it is possible if
you don't give them the choice.  This isn't for me personnaly, it is for
/them/...

Anyway, I'll shut up now - if I can't convince the developers that this
is worth it it is not like *I* will do anything about it ;-)...

Thanks,

Ricky