Creating boot section from /boot partitition

Jaak Simm jaaksimm at firm.ee
Mon Feb 16 22:24:48 UTC 2004

Hello Fedora2 testers,

Install went well, but due to my main ntfs drive, FC2-test1 does not
boot, as expected. So I'm trying to create the 512-byte boot section
(i.e. linux.bin) for my windows boot.ini.

The problem is that the boot partition does not seem to start from its
first section. After doing on linux rescue: (/dev/hda5 is the /boot
partition)
   dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/mnt/.../linux.bin bs=512 count=1
This gives me a linux.bin that does not boot to anywhere, just hangs. I
did a default installation, and used my previous linux partitions for FC2.

How can I create boot section (linux.bin) that I can use for dual
booting? Or do I have to specify some options during the installation of
grub?
Before FC2-test1 I had RH9 there and booted without trouble (of course
after I had created the linux.bin from its /boot partitition).

All links and suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Best,
Jaak