FC2 First Impressions (Nautilus, Sound and Evolution)

listmail listmail at swiftdsl.com.au
Mon Feb 16 23:33:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 07:30, fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Message: 22
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:37:23 +0000
> From: Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: FC2 First Impressions (Nautilus, Sound and Evolution)
>
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:29:01AM -0500, Hoyt wrote:
> > On Monday 16 February 2004 12:39 am, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Try unmuting it/turning up the volume - ALSA starts muted by default.
> >
> > Is there a valid reason for that? It seems that perhaps _some_ volume
> > initially would help avoid unnecessary help requests. I would not think that
> > starting muted would be a generally recognized assumption:
>
> Because a system without a user shoudln't make a beep (IMO), and each user
> has its idea of a right volume and his desktop environment should restore it
> on login.
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha

Hi Luciano, if this is a default policy, I strongly disagree.

I believe a blind user has already posted a valid objection.

If you extend the analogy it's like saying the screen should be black by default
& the user must adjust the brightness themselves...duh!

IF sound is enabled then it MUST be preset to an audible level by default.

Regards
Chris