Can not mount cdrom need tools to debug problems

Wes Shull wes at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Tue Feb 17 01:57:23 UTC 2004

"Peter A. Banks" <peter_banks at charter.net> wrote:

> Whenever I try to do a mount /dev/cdrom I get an Invalid block
> device. This was a machine that had a working grub configuration
> line (hdc=ide_scsi) and was upgraded from FC1 to FC2.
> Using the newest kernel 2.6.2-1.81 i686 athlon.

Welcome to 2.6...  they finally got ride of ide-scsi.  Temporary pain,
but if your drive is a DVD burner, no more switching to ide-scsi to
burn then back to ide-cd to run things that use libdvdread/libdvdcss
(like mplayer).

You'll want to remove any references to it in your boot kernel
parameters (the hdc=ide_scsi you mentioned) and in modprobe.conf; let
the normal ide/atapi driver handle it.

Not all apps have been updated to handle this; the cdrecord in FC2 is
fine, use dev=/dev/hdc instead of dev=1,0,0 or whatever you were
using.  Same for Schilly's cdrecord-proDVD; you'll want to go get the
latest version.  I'm a cli guy, if you use xcdroast or whatever,
you'll have to figure out where the setting is yourself.  I haven't
checked the latest dvdrecord (from dvdrtools) to see if it's been
updated yet.

--wes