FC 2 Test 1 - Sony Vaio laptop issues

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 03:45:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 16:16 -0500, Eric Wood wrote:
> 1. The GUI setup can not detect and LCD or Laptop display.  Instead it
> chooses an "Unprobed Monitor".  Is this in case one "might" be using an
> external monitor?  No biggie, it would just be nice to have LCDs detected if
> possible.

Unfortunately, panels don't usually show up when probing via DDC for
whatever reason.  What video chipset does the Vaio use?  If you file a
bug report and attach /var/log/XFree86.0.log, it might have the
information to do the hack-ish detection we use successfully on some
laptops.

> 2. If you check 'Everything',  the software catagories show go grey and
> display [0/10] instead of [10/10].  ...as if nothing will be installed.
> Comestic.

Could you file this, low priority... I'll get to it eventually.

> 3. When you get to "Starting Install Process, this may take several
> minutes..."  what is it doing?  I assume checking dependencies.  If
> 'Everything' is checked can we skip that delay and install everything
> by --force just to speed things up.

Nope, it's setting up the RPM transaction set and looking for
conflicting files and things like that.  It's not the sort of thing that
can be bypassed, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Jeremy