What happened to version.h?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 04:02:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 14:12 -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> I've just installed FC2 without a any particular problem--all looks OK.
> But, I tried to compile a newer ALSA and it failed for lack of
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h. Indeed, when I look in the
> source tree--which is certainly there--version.h is not there. Is there
> some new procedure re the 2.6 kernels that I'm unaware of?

ALSA should be look in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build not /usr/src/
linux.   This is the Linux Approved Way.  And with the 2.6 kernels, the
headers are being included in the individual packages instead of all in
the kernel-source package which a) makes things a lot simpler and b)
makes it so that you don't have to install krenel-source just to build a
kernel module.

Cheers,

Jeremy