FC 2 Test 1 - Sony Vaio laptop issues

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Tue Feb 17 05:24:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:45:44 -0500
Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Unfortunately, panels don't usually show up when probing via DDC for
> whatever reason.  What video chipset does the Vaio use?  If you file a
> bug report and attach /var/log/XFree86.0.log, it might have the
> information to do the hack-ish detection we use successfully on some
> laptops.

Wonder if 2.6.x has "chassis type" detection to report "Notebook" like dmidecode does:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/dmidecode/

> > 3. When you get to "Starting Install Process, this may take several
> > minutes..."  what is it doing?  I assume checking dependencies.  If
> > 'Everything' is checked can we skip that delay and install everything
> > by --force just to speed things up.
>
> Nope, it's setting up the RPM transaction set and looking for
> conflicting files and things like that.  It's not the sort of thing that
> can be bypassed, unfortunately.

I'm talking out of ignorance, but after ample amount of beta releases, and at least 1 'Everything'-install installed for each platform, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that there would *never* be a "conflicting file" and the transaction set could be pre-constructed to save time?

-Eric Wood