FC2 First Impressions (Nautilus, Sound and Evolution)

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Feb 17 10:55:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 19:37, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:29:01AM -0500, Hoyt wrote:
> > On Monday 16 February 2004 12:39 am, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Try unmuting it/turning up the volume - ALSA starts muted by default.
> >
> > Is there a valid reason for that? It seems that perhaps _some_ volume
> > initially would help avoid unnecessary help requests. I would not think that
> > starting muted would be a generally recognized assumption:
>
> Because a system without a user shoudln't make a beep (IMO), and each user
> has its idea of a right volume and his desktop environment should restore it
> on login.
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha
This is an excellent point that should not be over looked.

However, when we install fedora we have numerous options, Desktop,
Workstation, Server, Custom.

In which case what is to stop the install being customised so that
Desktop/Workstation machines have ALSA's volume turned up. The server
install to be muted.

I think it would be fair to assume that some one doing a custom install
should be slightly more technically literate and being able to work it
out for them selves (even if it IS still a right royal pain in the
arse).

Doug