Will mysql 4 be in FC2?

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Wed Feb 18 06:32:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 17:55, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> > It's silly to perpetually maintain MySQL 3 over this. Their licensing is
> > supposed to get commercial folk to pay when they distribute *their*
> > applications, not when an OS vendor ships a database.
>
> It does not appear to be a problem for SuSE as they are shipping SuSE 9
> with all mentioned packages including MySQL 4.

  And how, pray tell, does that change the license problem?
  All it means is that SUSE is taking a risk that they believe MySQL AB
will not pursue.  That's SUSE's choice, but it's a risk that I doubt Red
Hat will take.  Red Hat has historically been conservative when
distributing IP infringing code or even potentially infringing code.  It
took time to 'clean' the distribution, and perhaps there are a few loose
ends left to clean up, but I believe pine was the last piece that had to
be removed for license reasons.
  MySQL AB needs to make the next move, here, as it appears that it is
its license change that has caused the problem.  It is its absolute
right to make the change, but the problem it creates cannot be denied.
Consult your attorney for details, as I'm sure Red Hat has done.  And,
apparently, according to another post from a Red Hat employee, MySQL has
been pinged and asked for an update on the situation, so perhaps just
patience is required.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator