Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 08:15:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 12:36, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > I am as keen as the next person to encourage new users, but does this
> > have to be done at the expense of long time existing users? I truely
> > F.....g hate this new setup.
> >
> > Is this bugzillable, please tell me that I am not the only one who
> > _hates_ the new setup
>
> Certainly you're not the only one who hates it. I don't much use Nautilus
> (or GUI-stuff in general) anyway but the new behavior makes me want to
> scream.

I find it interesting that most people who dislike the new spatial mode
also add a comment that they don't actually use Nautilus. For any change
there will always be some people who don't like it. Hopefully the people
who actually use Nautilus will like it better.

Anyway, the default behaviour is decided and won't change. Maybe at some
point before 2.6 we'll add a preference that lets you default to
navigational mode. However, we'd like to force people to use spatial
mode in order to flush out all bugs from it (and make some people notice
that its actually nice).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scrappy chivalrous librarian moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a pregnant kleptomaniac mermaid living on borrowed time. They
fight crime!