Alsa Muting

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Feb 18 14:54:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:52:10AM +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
> This is getting silly.  There has been no sound argument against cranking the
> mixer levels to 40 percent.  There have been arguments in favour, especially
> for relative beginners.

I believe that is because this has been argued to death upstream
already.  Upgstream ALSA developers made the choice to mute by
default.  I believe it was to avoid possibly loud clicking, hissing,
or other problems during driver load/unload and system boot that could
damage speakers or ears.

If you want this changed, bring it up with the upstream ALSA
developers.  I doubt FC is going to deviate from upstream in this
matter.