Alsa Muting

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 14:59:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:54:21AM -0500, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> If you want this changed, bring it up with the upstream ALSA
> developers.  I doubt FC is going to deviate from upstream in this
> matter.

Drivers loading muted is good sense. Its one of those things we got wrong
with the older OSS drivers. OTOH the desktop default for sound wants to
be audible. Since people want a beep for gdm (ick.. but I see why) its also
a pre-desktop setting concern.

Ideally it should be saved for the system wide one, and also quite possibly
per user as part of gnome/kde setup (along with all the stuff like theme,
keyboard and mice[1] settings it tries to save)

Alan
--
[1] Yes I know gnome gets left handed mouse wrong for the USB mouse