Upgrading from Red Hat 9

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Wed Feb 18 19:01:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 13:43, Gene C. wrote:

[snip]

> What occurs to me is to somehow use grub.  The grub stage1 and stage2 files
> are small enough to fit on a floppy.  Unfortunately, grub is not currently
> capable of booting a cdrom (as far as I con deteremine) so an enhancement to
> grub would be necessary to add this functionality.

  From the rest of your message, not sure why you mention the need for
grub to boot from cdrom...I thought you were talking about booting from
floppy.  However, if someone really needs cdrom booting capability in
grub, take a look at the Xen virtual machine monitor project at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/ as the demo CD that
project puts out uses a modified version of grub with this capability.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator