Upgrading from Red Hat 9

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Feb 18 19:14:47 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 14:01, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 13:43, Gene C. wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > What occurs to me is to somehow use grub.  The grub stage1 and stage2
> > files are small enough to fit on a floppy.  Unfortunately, grub is not
> > currently capable of booting a cdrom (as far as I con deteremine) so an
> > enhancement to grub would be necessary to add this functionality.
>
>   From the rest of your message, not sure why you mention the need for
> grub to boot from cdrom...I thought you were talking about booting from
> floppy.  However, if someone really needs cdrom booting capability in
> grub, take a look at the Xen virtual machine monitor project at
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/ as the demo CD that
> project puts out uses a modified version of grub with this capability.

>From previous messages, some folks are unable to boot a cdrom -- either the
system does not have one, or the bios is not capable of booting a cdrom, or
it cannot boot the isolinux cdrom.  Since the kernel has grown too large to
fit on a floppy, I was looking for a way to bootstrap the booting of the
cdrom through booting of a floppy with grub on it and then have grub boot the
cdrom.  If grub could pull vmlinuz and initrd.img from the dosutils/autoboot
directory, this could possibly get around the boot-cdrom problem.

This has to be easier than installing something like RHL 9 which is then used
to boot the cdrom.
--
Gene