Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Feb 18 22:56:18 UTC 2004

Quoting Z <zleite at mminternet.com>:

> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 07:01, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:54:39AM -0600, marc.mcswain at academy.com wrote:
> > > What I find insulting is the fact that you have to resort to language
> like
> > > this to make your point.
> >
> > Alex wrote a lot of the current nautilus code. I also happen to detest
> > spacial mode but Alex is absolutely right to be annoyed at the way some
> > people are behaving.
>
> While you have a point, Alex volunteered the information that he forced
> down the tester's throats an unnecessary and radical change, going as
> far as to remove the configuration setting needed to revert the change.
> That was arrogant, patronizing, selfish, and, yes, stupid. It was bound
> to create strong reactions. I he was expecting accolades and adoration,
> he's quite the naive
I don't think that is strickly fair Z.

I thought one of the main points of these test releases was to allow the
developers to get feedback on bugs.
Obviously they will want the default's to be tested most regerously, especially
if the default has changed substantially.
So to me it would make a bit of sense to force it apon a tester (I think this is
an important distintion, we are no longer clear cutter users), when I
challenged Alex on this point he confirmed that later on there will be a
*hidden* option to set the browse mode as the default.
He also explained breifly (off list) why having a more accesible option is some
thing he feel's can lead to one hell of a nightmare. I don't compleately agree
with him on this, but at the end of the day, he is the one doing it, what right
do I have to demand other wise.

His language may not have been ideal, but I think his sentiments were (and are)
in the right place.

Doug (not that I think Alex need's my help defending him self)