up2date, mirror repositories, and performance

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Feb 18 23:56:07 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 17:14, seth vidal wrote:
> > Is there a similar protocol that would work in this case?
> > Imagine having 50% of the desktop market.  What system would scale to
> > that load?
>
> Here is what we could really use:
> 1. mirroring to be more well synced - which means tiering the mirrors
> 2. good mirror lists that stay updated
> 3. a way of testing mirror status via the metadata for the packages - I
> think I know how to do this last one.

Seth, I believe you are right on target here.

The only other thing I can think of is some kind of central augmentation of
the mirror list which would reflect the sync status as well as somewhat rank
the servers in terms of capabilities (a big server attached to an OC48 can
take a lot bigger load than a small server on a T1).  This sounds good but I
am not sure it is do-able.
--
Gene