Dovecot configuration

Mark Heslep mark at mitre.org
Thu Feb 19 03:53:17 UTC 2004

David R. Fischer wrote:

> Question. In trying to setup dovecot I noticed that it is trying to
> hit a postgresql DB.  When I went looking in the rpm I see no
> PREIN/POSTIN creating the database.  Is the SRPM just defaulting
> incorrectly?? or is there scripts missing?
> thanks

Check your /etc/dovecot.conf  for the user and pass database defaults.
Dovecot ships defaulting to postgres:
auth_userdb = pgsql /usr/local/etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
auth_passdb = pgsql /usr/local/etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf

If  you dont want it using a database try something else.  Shadow
passwords are fine for me as Im not on the net:
auth_userdb = passwd
auth_passdb = shadow

and restart the server.

-Mark