Inspiron 1100 troubles

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 15:22:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 22:24 -0500, Timothy Bierer wrote:
>
> > I logged in as root and tried to access /etc/X11/XF86Config, but got a
> > "permission denied" message.  How can I fix this?
>
> If you mean you used "su", then you need to do it as "su -" (include
> hyphen) so you get all of root's environment.

What?  Your environment can't change your ability to access a local file,
surely...  If you're uid 0, you're uid 0.  Mike only said access, maybe he was
trying to run it by mistake?

jh

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
 accepting it."                                      -- Aristotle