Inspiron 1100 troubles

Timothy Bierer p1374953 at cedarville.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:21:54 UTC 2004

Editing with vi worked like a charm, and I was able to fix everything
except the XF86Config issue.  I changed the driver material to "vesa,"
but the problem is still there.  Suggestions?

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12:38, Timothy Bierer wrote:
> I use an Inspiron 1100 with a Intel 845 graphics card. As
recommended,
> I downloaded and installed the "fix" for my 800X600 screen
resolution
> from Intel's website. I upgraded from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 2
> Test 1 to try to fix this, but it didn't work. Here's what I get
during
> start-up:
>
> General errors?
>
> insmod: error inserting
> '/lib/modules/2.6.1-1.65/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko' -1 no
such
> device

Its harmless, for some reason the initscripts seem to want to start up

toshipa_acpi on all the laptops here

> modprobe FATAL: module keybdev not found
>
> modprobe FATAL: module mousedev not found

Another harmless initscript problem, they are not needed on 2.6

> checking for new hardware: FATAL: Error inserting floppy
> (/lib/modules/2.6.1-1.65/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko): no such
device
> (I don't have a floppy drive in my machine)

You can fix this by adding

install floppy /bin/true

to /etc/modprobe.conf

> starting smartd: hda: ATAPI 16x DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive 2048kb Cashe,
> UDMA(33) [FAILED]

You can fix this by changing the line about hda in /etc/smartd.conf to
hdc --
the DVD drive doesn't support smart is all.  Dell has the DVD on IDE0
and the
HDD on IDE1 for some bizarre reason.

> display related?
>
> FATAL ERROR: NO screens found

You need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config

Scroll down to section "Device", somewhere in there will be a line
beginning
Driver.  Change what is after the Driver part to read "vesa".  Then see
if
running startx from a console will do any better.

- -Andy

- --
Find your answer without waiting for replies....
Searchable list archives at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

To unsubscribe: