x864_64 up2date gone wild.

Mark mark at harddata.com
Wed Feb 18 18:45:07 UTC 2004

On February 18, 2004 01:35 am, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 07:08:54PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > dependency, but it then complained about an unresolved dependency on
> > libgl.so, which I believe is a known issue.
>
> That was my fault, 2 libs should have been included i386 which were not.
> It will be fixed in final, for now, manually installing the deps should
> work.
>
> > Still, this just feels wrong.  The x86_64 channel should include any
> > necessary i386 stuff.
>
> This is the way it should be, there is no need for mirrors to have to carry
> the same packages in too many locations, it is not an efficient use of disk
> space or bandwidth.  Yum will DTRT.  It also allows the install of other
> packages which might have deps that do not ship with the base OS in i386.
> IF there is a conflict, yum tells you first.

Yum 2.5 does a pretty good job with both x86 and x86_64 package updates. The
only real problems arise when you need to add a i386 package that already
exists as a x86_64 package. I have seen the i386 package want to install  non
arch specific files that were already installed with x86_64 package. This of
course causes yum to give an error and requires you to force the install of
i386 package by hand.

I saw this problem first hand installing mplayer from freshrpms. Some i386
versions of the XFree86 libs are required and since the x86_64 versions of
the libs were already installed, file conflicts arose. All in All though it
was a fairly painless install. Much easier than it was on Taroon x86_64
(RHEL3), a month or so ago.

regards,
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--