Sound does not work on FC 2 Test1 - FIXED (Sound Blaster Live - emu10k1 )

Vladimir Vuksan vvuksan at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 19:11:48 UTC 2004

>I made a fresh installation of FC 2 on a AMD XP Computer with a
>Soundblaster Live Card (emu10k1). I got the packages of the CDs, and did no
>changes to them.

>And i am not able to get sound out of my boxes - even if I activate the
>onboard AC97 chipset from via (vt8233/A/8235), I do not get sound.

I was able to resolve this by adding following to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

This seems to have done the trick with Sound Blaster Live. However after
everything I still got no sound since ALSA starts muted. You have to use

alsamixer

and increase the volume or use XMMS with ALSA plug-in to bump up the volume.

Vladimir